If you’re leaving your bike parked in a public park, search for CCTV cameras and park within the line of their sight, if that’s attainable.
Most railway parking stations and public carpark areas comparable to purchasing centres have CCTV cameras which are monitored by safety employees.
Nevertheless, they aren’t all the time educated on the bike parking areas.
One western Sydney resident lately advised us that the Penrith station has devoted parking for about eight bikes on the skin of a multi-story carpark.
“Contained in the automotive park and across the station is an effective community of CCTV that covers nearly all of the station, that’s besides the place motorbikes are parked,” he says.
“I’ve seen one poor rider return to seek out his chain minimize and helmet on the ground with no bike.”
He wrote to NSW Transport and Infrastructure Minister Mark Courtroom who replied that Sydney Trains will “contemplate” the rollout of a brand new CCTV system as a part of the commuter automotive park improve on the station.
We contacted ministers in numerous states for his or her coverage on CCTV cameras and incidence of bike theft, however couldn’t get any statistics.
Nevertheless, every state has 1000’s of CCTV cameras and safety employees who monitor the cameras and patrol these stations.
However it’s as much as riders to make sure they park beneath lights and in line of sight of the cameras, if attainable.
Try Australia’s bike theft sizzling spots
Nationwide Theft Discount Council boss Ray Carroll says they don’t have any statistics on particular areas of bike theft.
“Most frequently the police stories may have an handle however not an outline of what that sort of place that’s,” he says.
“When we have now completed earlier evaluation it might seem that in about 70% of stories the place the kind of location is understood it’s a residence.
“This doesn’t imply that bikes aren’t stolen from public transport carparks, and in adequate numbers for riders to treat it as an issue.
“In actuality, bikes will be stolen from wherever they’re parked and riders have to take all sensible precautions they will towards theft.”
Right here’s how one can defend your bike
- Purchase a safe chain so you’ll be able to chain your bike to an immovable object like a lamp put up.
- Use a safe disc lock with a reminder wire hooked up to your handlebars so that you don’t experience off with it nonetheless in place.
- Additionally, use the steering lock in case your bike has one.
- Even when parked in a safe location comparable to your storage or behind a locked gate, contemplate the additional safety of utilizing the steering lock, a disc lock or chain as effectively.
- Pull out a spark plug or fuse, or have an immobiliser fitted.
- Keep away from parking your bike in railway or purchasing centre automotive parks as these are infamous for theft.
- Park in a locked carpark. If you need to park within the open, depart it the place you’ll be able to see your bike or in view of a safety digicam and/or beneath a lightweight.
- In any other case, preserve your bike out of sight, perhaps parking it behind your automotive. If parking in a storage, block the bike along with your automotive and make sure the storage is locked.
- Use DataDot, DNA+ or a safety tag to establish your bike.
- When using dwelling, be sure you usually are not being adopted.
- Keep alert for suspicious vans or vehicles driving round late at evening. These are used to move stolen bikes.
- Put a canopy over your bike. It would decelerate thieves and stop theft of equipment. However make sure that it isn’t a flashy lone with the model title of the bike on it. That solely entices thieves.
- When using in a bunch, park your bikes collectively.
- Take into account marking your bike in a novel approach that would support in restoration and due to this fact dissuade thieves.
- At motels or public parking areas, attempt to park in view of car parking zone safety cameras and lights.
- Should you park your bike exterior your home, contemplate putting in a movement sensor mild close to the bike.
- Set up a bike alarm and/or a hidden kill swap.
- Purchase a GPS monitoring system that may observe and relay your bike’s velocity, location and path.