Whether or not you’re superstitious or not, Friday the 13th is predicted to be a nasty day for motorbike crashes; not due to the date, however the day.
A Youi insurance coverage claims accident frequency research discovered most collisions (16%) occurred on Fridays and have been almost certainly to occur between the height durations of 8am – 9am and 3pm – 6pm.
Fridays afternoons are harmful as a result of individuals are eager to get house from the week’s work.
Motorists are additionally extra prone to have had a drink or two.
So riders must take additional care on a Friday to keep away from these motorists driving quick and erratically and take additional precautions with additional buffer house.
Motorcyclists can scale back their crash danger by taking time to organize themselves and their bike for the journey, says RACQ govt supervisor technical and security coverage Steve Spalding.
“It’s necessary motorcyclists remind themselves about how weak they’re in a crash and the necessity to trip defensively,” he says.
The rider of an immaculately maintained 1996 Suzuki Bandit additionally advises that preparation could make all of the distinction.
“Taking the time to guard your self and put together for the trip could make the distinction between life and loss of life.”
He recommends motorcyclists take the next steps earlier than you trip:
- Guarantee all motorbike upkeep and servicing is updated;
- Perform a pre-ride security test that features checking lights, engine oil and brake fluid ranges, clutch, tyre situation and stress when the tyres are chilly;
- Carry a short lived tyre restore package;
- Make sure the chain is appropriately adjusted and lubricated with an applicable chain grease;
- Safe baggage, being positive to not overload the motorbike thereby making it unstable;
- Put on protecting driving gear, even in scorching climate; and
- Put together your self mentally to trip at a tempo each inside your individual and your bike’s capabilities.