Yamaha Concept Motorcycle News
Electric TY-E Trial Bike Spurs Yamaha Motor to First Trial-E Cup Entry
Cypress, CA – March 23, 2018 – Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. (YMC – Japan) announced today that it has developed the TY-E electric trial bike as a concept model. Designed to optimize the unique advantages associated with electrical power, the new TY-E will compete for the first time in the 2018 FIM Trial-E Cup, with scheduled appearances at Auron in France on July 14-15, and at Comblain au Pont in Belgium on July 21-22.
Kenichi Kuroyama – who is currently competing in the IA Super class of the All Japan Trial Championship – will represent the Yamaha Factory Racing Team during 2018. The TY-E will also be on display at the Yamaha Motor booth at this year’s Tokyo Motorcycle Show, being held at the Tokyo Big Sight beginning today.
Featuring advanced new technology, the TY-E has come straight from the company’s “Evolving R&D” program, in which Yamaha R&D employees are given the opportunity to work outside conventional frameworks and devote up to 5% of their working hours towards developing innovative new concepts.
It is here that Yamaha focused on a model for trials competition, and worked on its development to help overcome typical EV development issues. R&D employees worked to address challenges such as the high output from small-sized and lightweight components, and harnessing high torque output in order to create an easy, responsive, and controllable riding character.
Yamaha TY-E Key Features
- A high rotation-type compact high-power electric motor that achieves high off-road performance with both powerful low-speed torque and extended acceleration
- Sophisticated motor control technology that achieves an excellent response and a power feeling from extremely low to high-speed ranges
- A mechanical clutch that ensures instantaneous power and control, and an electric motor and optimized flywheel that realizes excellent traction performance
- A newly designed compact high-output battery pack with compact and lightweight components
- Advanced CFRP monocoque frame that is at the lightest possible weight, while delivering optimal rigidity and battery storage space
- Extremely slim bodywork that does not interfere with dynamic rider action
FIM Trial-E Cup
This is the only FIM (Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme)-sanctioned event where electric trial machines alone can compete. This event was held for the first-time last year on June 24-25 at Lourdes in France, where 11 riders entered – with Spain’s Marc Colomer claiming victory. For 2018 the FIM Trial-E Cup consists of two events – Auron in France on July 14-15, and Comblain au Pont in Belgium on July 20-21.
Name Kenichi Kuroyama
Place of birth Hyogo Prefecture, Japan
Date of birth July 24, 1978
2018 Scheduled Events All Japan Trial Championship IA Super class; FIM Trial-E Cup
2018 Representative Yamaha Factory Racing Team
2017 Results Ranked 2nd in the All Japan Trial Championship IA Super class
TY-E Key Specifications
Overall Length x Width x Height 2,003mm x 830mm x 1,130mm
Minimum Ground Clearance 350mm
Vehicle Weight Less than 70kg
Engine Type AC synchronous electric motor
Auxiliary Battery Type Lithium-ion battery
Clutch Type Hydraulic, Wet, Multi-plate
Frame Type CFRP Monocoque
The post YAMAHA TY-E ELECTRIC TRIALS BIKE CONCEPT MODEL ANNOUNCED appeared first on Dirt Bike Magazine.